Friday, September 9, 2011

Who Run the World? - Girls.

Today I had one of my female students come up to me and tell me she wanted to learn softball.  That made my day.  My dream to possibly have a little softball group here might come to fruition.  Also in the past weeks I have taught some of my co-workers the "Gorgeous" snap...you know, where you do that slow zig zag motion from left to right while snapping and sayin "goooooooooorrrrrrggge - OUSSS" with a little 'tude (TED you know what I'm talking about).....But my day/week got better as it went on...


Usually on Fridays right after my last class I am ambushed by my boys to arm-wrestle.  Today was something a bit different though-  right after my last class a girl nick-named "Mushroom"  and her friends come up to me and we start chatting. One boy points to her and calls her a man. And I say no, no she's a girl she's a girl. Mushroom then explains to me that she wants to be a soldier. For those of you who don't know, Korea has a female sector of their military. It's pretty legitimate.  Apparently she wants to be a soldier because her sister is one, which to me, still makes me ask the question "But why do you want to be one?"  Then one of my boys goes "Yeah she strong so she a man." Oh really???  I then continue to go on about how women/girls are strong too. The boys are looking like they don't believe me, and then one of them goes "wait...teacher...." and motions for me to hold up my arm and flex.

That's right. I had 10-15 middle schoolers poking my biceps and in awe. I then said pointing to myself "Woman, right?" And the boys nodded, now knowing that women can be physically strong too.  Also, when I got home today I had the opportunity to connect with my host brother a bit over sports.  He really likes soccer and what not.  I asked him what he was going to do tomorrow (Saturday) and he said go to exercise academy.  I was somewhat confused and said that I had no idea there was any type of exercise academy.  Basically he will go somewhere to play soccer for about 3 hours.  How cool right?  Then I told him that since I was about 4 years old I have been playing softball.  And I told him that I guess if I averaged out the time I spent playing softball all these years I would guess it would be around 3 hours every day of my life for about 18 years, right?  His eyes got this big--> O____O .  I then proceeded to show him pictures of DePauw's softball team aka real strong women.  He was somewhat amazed and I think he thinks that DePauw's softball team is famous.....When he asked me the question "So, is your team famous in the United States?"  I pretty much said..."Well....you could say that.  We are very, very special."  And he nodded in agreement.  Hopefully we will bond over watching some Arsenal soccer games soon...



Can we say cultural ambassadorship at its finest?  I think so.


Conclusion of the day: Who run da world? GIRLS.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmMU_iwe6U&feature=player_embedded  

No comments:

Post a Comment